Friday, April 8, 2016

Surrender?

Sometimes I have to hunker down and ride out the storm. When I smell dusty rain on the wind, my instinct is to outrun it. Faster. Faster.  A good friend can ease the panic.

The worst choice I can make is to deny the gathering clouds and then become incensed at the arrival of the inevitable. Of course, I’m referring to the turbulent crashing waves of emotion that swing between the uncontrollable abyss and fleeting glorious heights. 

My first thought yesterday was “surrender” to being engulfed by my own disturbing, crazy dialogues. My second spoken out loud guidance was  “Patience, Crow, things always work out.” However, knowing that the pendulum will obey the laws of physics and swing back to the other side, doesn’t help. Sometimes my logic and my gut-knowing are lost to each other.
   
Do we all try to control gravity? Arrest the natural arc of that emotional pendulum? Do we all joyously surrender to the bright side of our moods and reject the rest. I think some people may cling to consuming depression as a badge, the adult award for "facing reality."

Today the sun is out, and I feel refreshed, emptied of chaos. I am humbled in the realization that these storms are as natural as the turning of the earth---and sometimes (like yesterday) surrendering takes all the will power I can muster. 

The wise saying is that we all have our demons. If I don’t acknowledge their existence, how can I invite them to leave?

9 comments:

  1. Crow I'm a long way away but if ever I can help in one of those storms I would feel blessed with your asking. Hugs. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Listening to beautiful music has proven to be a big help to those who have traumatic stress, so I should think, Crow, that would help you glide through your storms, considering your creative talent. Writing helps me get through them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Velda, I can only imagine the storms you've survived the last couple of years. Thank you so much. Wise advice.

      Delete
  3. I always feel so blessed that I was lucky enough to meet you, Crow, so way back in the day, as you began your journey, seguing from science into music, just beginning growing into the multi-faceted revealer of many beauties you are today. I’ve thought of writing once or twice in the recent past, just to say hi again, but put it off. Odd now to think those were times you might especially have liked to hear from an old friend. It’s always such a pleasure to hear from you or of you. And just to know you still are you. Holler at me sometime, anytime. – Dale in Austin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if this reply will reach you, Dale. It's neat to realize those connections are timeless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Segueing from science to music? Crow, I didn't know you were once going to be a scientist.

    ReplyDelete