Monday, October 16, 2017

It's Okay, I'm a Beginner

Watercolor by Crow of Tim Henderson
 based on a photo by Susan Roads,
requested by Marian Henderson.

Do you ever wish you could explore a field you've never tried? 

 I admire watercolor artists and pen and ink sketches, but.... (I have long list of reasons I couldn't ever consider it.)  

 If my cow resembled a potato supported by four breadsticks. I would say:

1) I can't do that. I obviously don't have any talent.

2) I'm too old. It would take 20 years to get good.

No one wants to feel a FOOL. So, seriously, why is it foolish to begin something you don't already know how to do?  Why do we expect the results to be perfect?  And what is perfection?

 My first sketch of Tim had his twinkle, but his face proportions weren't quite Tim. About half of my friends thought it was nice drawing but couldn't tell who it was suppose to resemble.  So I went on Youtube and looked for demos and pointers on perspective and proportion.  I found suggestions, tried them, and improved. 

my first try to sketch Tim

Giving myself a break, I now repeat, "Hey, It's okay. I'm a Beginner".  I get to experiment, learn, and play without apologies.  Fearless learning is a thrill. Crescent Dragonwagon's Fearless Writing Workshops can apply to any form of expression.

Maybe I'll use, "Hey, It's okay. I'm a beginner" for every minute of this amazing life. 

Hugs y'all...




No comments:

Post a Comment